Teachers and school pupils play an important part in CiS. Contact the Education secretary Dr John Ling if you have any questions, or would like to contribute to the resources on this page.
2013 National Curriculum Review
A CiS response to the recent consultation regarding reform of the UK national curriculum can be found here: CiS National Curriculum Response.
Church of England “God and the Big Bang” project
CiS has recently enjoyed working with The Church of England on a series of science – faith day conferences in schools. The conferences have been piloted in C of E schools in the Manchester Diocese with the hope of rolling the project out nationwide in the future.
The conferences have featured three or more Christians with backgrounds in science or engineering and the sessions have included a key note lecture on the compatibility of science and Christianity, an interview with one of the speakers, a fun science demonstration session, a practical session for the students and a panel Q&A session with all of the contributors.
One of these conferences was reported in the local press and the article can be found here. If you would like more information about these events please contact the Development Officer.
- Article in TES Connect by Education Secretary, John Ling: ‘AC Grayling is wrong: the humanity of Christ speaks to the nature of true humanism’
- Interview with CiS’s Education Secretary, John Ling: pdf (437 KB)
- Teaching Science in School (pdf, 65 KB), article from Christianity
- An introduction to Christian thinking on Creation – two helpful articles from in Christianity Magazine (August and September 2005):
What you need to know about the evolution debate
10 things you need to know about the evolution debate
- Short paper by education specialist Michael Poole on science and Christianity, for school pupils: God and the Big Bang (pdf, 366KB)
- Short article by Prof. John Bryant, published in the Biochemist magazine: Intelligent Design Theory. New hypothesis or old idea in a new guise? (pdf, 1.7MB)
- Short article by Dr Denis Alexander, a biologist and director of the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion: Can a Christian believe in evolution?
- Short article by Michael Poole: Am I significant in the Universe, or just an accident? (pdf, 66KB)
- Online lecture on the interpretation of Genesis by theologian and former biologist Rev Dr Ernest Lucas: Science and the Bible: Are they incompatible? The creation story as a test case
- Online lecture by theologian and former biologist, Prof Alister McGrath: Has Science eliminated God? Richard Dawkins and the Meaning of Life
- Audio files of the talks from the CiS London conference ‘Science, Education and Secularism’ are available here
- Audio files of the talks from the CiS Education Conference in 2006 can be found here
- Details of The Faraday Institute’s conference Science and Religious Education in Schools can be found here with audio files of the talks given available here.