Prof. John Sweeney
(Abstract to be provided)
Professor John Sweeney has been a lecturer in the Geography Department NUI Maynooth, since 1978. John received a First Class Honours BSc degree from the University of Glasgow and was a awarded a PhD degree from Glasgow in 1980. John has taught courses primarily related to climatology, but he has also taught biogeography, geomorphology and environmental resource management. John has taught and researched at a number of universities in North America and Africa and has also been involved in course design and curriculum development matters at second and third levels. Over the past 25 years he has published approximately 60 scientific papers and edited/co-authored 4 texts on various aspects of urban climatology and climate change in Ireland. These have focused predominantly on meteorological influences on air pollution transport and dispersal in Ireland, and on spatial aspects of climate change. He currently leads an EPA funded research programme into the impacts of climate change in Ireland and into the production of climate scenarios for Ireland for mid and end century. As one of the contributing Authors and Review Editors of the recently published Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), John shares with several hundred climatologists the Nobel Peace Prize 2007.
Prof. Sweeney has served as:
- President of the Irish Meteorological Society (1996-1999)
- Secretary and Editor of the Geographical Society of Ireland (1984-1996)
- Treasurer of the Irish Quaternary Association (1982-1985)
- Secretary of the Irish Committee for the Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (1993-2001)
- Past Chairman of the Irish Committee on Climate Change
- 1986 (with G.P. O'Hare) The Atmospheric System, Longmans, Edinburgh, 210pp.
- 1989 (Editor) The Irish Sea: a Resource at Risk, Geographical Society of Ireland, Dublin, 200pp.
- 1996 Global Environmental Change: a Register of Research in Ireland Relating to the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 48pp.
- 1997 (Editor) Global Change and the Irish Environment, Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 176pp.
- 2002 (Editor) Climate Change: Indicators for Ireland, Environmental Protection Agency, Johnstown Castle, Wexford, 71pp.
- 2003 (Editor ) Climate Change: Scenarios and Impacts for Ireland, Environmental Protection Agency, Johnstown Castle, Wexford, 229pp.
- 2005 (with G. O’Hare and R. Wilby) Weather, Climate and Climate Change, Pearson Educational, Harlow, Essex, 403pp.
- 2007 (with L. McElwain) Key Meteorological Indicators of Climate Change in Ireland, Environmental Protection Agency, Johnstown Castle, Wexford, 40pp. (In Press)
- 2007 (Editor) Climate Change in Ireland: Refining the Impacts, Environmental Protection Agency, Johnstown Castle, Wexford, 200pp. (In Press)
- 2007 (with L. McElwain) EU 2oC target report – Key areas for information and analyses targets, Environmental Protection Agency, Johnstown Castle, Wexford, 25pp.