header
Higgs boson: the particle of faith (Alister McGrath)
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith December 2011
    Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8956938/Higgs-boson-the-particle-of-faith.html

People believe in the existence of the Higgs boson, even without explicit "proof" of its existence, because of its explanatory power.

Belief in God can be similar. (Surprisingly, CS Lewis doesn't get quoted!)

Quite a nice article, I reckon.

(The pun would work even better if there were 39 particles in the standard model!)
  • Michael December 2011
    I don't beleive in some of the 39 particles:)
  • SimonSimon December 2011
    I thought you were an Anglican priest Michael?
  • exchemist July 2012
    So today, from CERN, we have far stronger evidence for the Higgs boson, since something has been detected with the predicted mass and decay products, with a high degree of certainty. How nice for Higgs that his prediction has been confirmed in his own lifetime. (He turned 83 in May, I gather.) And so the Standard Model soldiers on. Would be good if Higgs gets a Nobel for this, while he's still with us.

But of course even the new evidence is indirect, in the same sort of way that it is for the existence of atoms and molecules. So strictly speaking you still need a modicum of faith to believe in the "God particle".

• SimonSimon July 2012
    I'd like to say this discovery will change my life but, much like football results, after five minutes of being interested my concern rapidly moves on... I think if I were a gambling man my life would be much more interesting!
  • Do we ever experience anything directly? It always takes a modicum of faith to believe that my sensations correspond to something real outside of myself.